Match Report: Hull City 1-4 Arsenal

HULL, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 17: Alexis Sanchez of Arsenal celebrates scoring his sides third goal with his team mates during the Premier League match between Hull City and Arsenal at KCOM Stadium on September 17, 2016 in Hull, England. (Photo by Tony Marshall/Getty Images)

After a shaky start that saw a home loss against Liverpool and an away draw to Leicester, Arsenal have kicked it up a notch and bagged in two wins in a row. They were looking to make it three in a row as they faced Hull City at the KCOM Stadium.

As the kick off whistle blew, both teams started slowly, barely establishing any dominance over the game. Arsenal had the possession and started raising the tempo of the match as the clock ticked.

The 13th minute saw Arsenal’s first chance of the game and it came courtesy of Chilean talisman, Alexis Sanchez, who directed a ball he received in the penalty spot over the bar.

The Gunners continued to apply pressure and saw light at the 17th minute when they scored their first goal: Jakupovic kept out a cross from Walcott, Iwobi followed-up with a shot that was deflected off of Sanchez’s foot and into the net. Arsenal one, Hull City nil.

A few minutes later, Sanchez found himself in the box but Andy Robertson denied his shot with a perfectly timed tackle from behind. Walcott also got his chance but sent the ball right into the keeper’s arms.

Hull barely created any chances in the half and were lucky to not concede even more goals, as Jakupovic denied Iwobi’s effort that was followed up by a shot from Ozil that went into row Z.

Coquelin saw himself in the third end of the pitch at the 39th minute and was denied his first ever Arsenal goal by Jake Livermore’s arm. Livermore was sent off and Arsenal had the advantage as Hull continued the game with 10 players.

The Gunners have gotten themselves yet another penalty this season. This time it was Sanchez who was taking it, not Santi Cazorla. The Chilean looked a bit a hesitant and his mediocre effort to the lower left end of the goal was read and saved by Hull’s goalkeeper.

Arsenal were fired up in the second half and looked nothing the team that started the first half. They were quick, fast, and clinical. The 54th minute of the match marked Arsenal’s second goal as Walcott chipped in Iwobi’s impressive backheel pass.

Hull City got a glimpse of hope when Dieumerci Mbokani tripped over Petr Cech in the penalty spot and Snodgrass capped off the penalty in the 79th minute.

Oh dear God, another horrible ten minutes where all Arsenal fans will need an unlimited supply of pharmaceuticals? Are Arsenal going to hold on to their lead and bring home the three points? Or are they going to fall short and settle for just one point? We needn’t have feared as Sanchez fired home in the 83rd minute, this time indisputably, to end Hull’s chances of coming back into the game.

The clock showed 90 minutes. Arsenal were up three to one. Three points were in the bag. It was all but over now. However, £35 million signing Granit Xhaka was saving one last effort and what an effort that was.

Xhaka was strolling through the midfield and no one saw what was coming next. He was waaay too far out to shoot but decided to do so anyway. His shot resulted in a stoppage time screamer that left Jakupovic in awe as Xhaka put his index finger on the tip of his top lip, signaling to all of his critics and haters to stay silent. That Xhaka goal was the cherry on top, as Arsenal delighted their fans with a scrumptious 4-1 victory away from home.

Arsenal face Nottingham Forest away from home next Tuesday in the League Cup.

Written by @rifaatfakih

Rifaat Fakih

Leave a Reply Text

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.